SQL server is one of the most used databases in the world. Also, SQL server’s performance is well known to the world. In order to understand any system the best way is to try out the system.
We will also do the same. Let us install SQL Server into our Windows system.
Install SQL Server Express
- Click on the link below to download SQL Server.
- The link will take you to the SQL Server download page.
You will get the above two options for download.
- We will be downloading Express edition as that has most of the components that we need to development purpose.
- Click on the Download now button. The following file will get downloaded.
- Double click on the downloaded executable file and the following screen will appear.
- SQL server installation license term screen will appear as shown below. Click on Accept.
- The necessary files will get auto downloaded and the installation process will be in progress.
- Post successful completion of the process. The following screen will appear.
- After successful installation, you can click Connect Now to connect to the DB and get started.
We will select Basic for the purpose of this installation guide as it provides the default configuration options. You can select any one of the three options based on your need. Click on Basic.
Now that we have successfully installed SQL Server Express edition. We will need a UI to connect to the DB and run queries.
We will use SQL Server Management Studio for this purpose.
Install SQL Server Management Studio
SQL Server Management Studio is an integrated environment for managing any SQL infrastructure, from SQL Server to Azure SQL Database.
SSMS provides tools to configure, monitor, and administer instances of SQL. Use SSMS to deploy, monitor, and upgrade the data-tier components used by your applications, as well as build queries and scripts.
Use SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) to query, design, and manage your databases and data warehouses.
Let us start with the installation of SSMS to understand it better.
- Click on the link below for downloading SQL Server Management Studio
- Click on the first link if you are downloading SQL Server Management Studio for the first time and if you already have a 17.x version and want to upgrade to the latest version please click on the second link.
- The following executable file will get downloaded. Double Click on the file.
- On double-clicking the file. The following screen will appear. Click on Install button.
- After Clicking on Install, the installation procedure will start automatically.
- Once the installation is complete following screen will appear.
- Launch SSMS and Authentication screen will appear. There are various ways to log in. You can select the option based on which you have configured for authentication.
- Click on Connect and the following screen will appear on the left side of the window.
Congratulation You have successfully installed SQL Server Express and SQL Server Management Studio.